Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Birds

If you were to ask me, "Have you ever intentionally killed an animal?" Surprisingly, my answer would be, "no." I grew up in a little farm town, where hunting was part of our life style. In fact, I love going hunting, and I am every bit in favor of hunting. People don't understand how hunting works, and think its just a kill for joy thing. In fact, hunters do the most in keeping wild animals healthy and in good living conditions. Anyways, back to my point; I was raised in a hunting community, and my husbands family is also big hunters. So, you would think I would be a big hunter myself. Well, nope. I have this extremely fragile heart. I can't stand to hurt anything. I can barely smash a bug! (No joke.) The only time I've killed anything semi-intentionally is, on the road. I will NOT swerve! So sorry little rabbit, but if you're in the road and you choose not to move, you're buzzard food. And, I do kill an occasional bug, if it looks dangerous.
So...You see this little bird? This devilish bird!
Well, let me tell you about this little guy. He lives here in Michigan. In fact, he lives in a tree, right along the pathway from our apartment to the park. KenLea and I make this walk everyday, because we both need the fresh air. Well, as we were walking, I all of a sudden heard this squawk coming up behind me. I turned around and this bird was flying straight at us.
This picture, from Fantasia, is seriously what I thought of as best to describe this bird, as it was flying at me. It kept hovering around us, then try to swoop down for the kill. I immediately sat KenLea down on the grass, and stood above her. First I grabbed my diaper bag, thinking I'd swing at it with that. Then I realized the big rocks along the side of the trail, so I grabbed one of those babies, which were approximately the size of a cantaloup. It took a dive at me, and so I chucked the rock at it, and it barely dodged it. I grabbed a second rock, and honestly my second attempt was rather pathetic. (You try throwing an awkwardly sized rock up at a quick little bird.) Well, this goes on for literally five minutes; me holding a big rock, either throwing it at the bird or pretending to, so I'd scare it from getting any closer. Mind you, this bird was not just going to let us walk away. You turn away for one second, and it comes straight at the back of your head.
If you could imagine what I looked like, standing there trying to fight/kill this bird, I looked like...
 Okay, more like...

probably like a complete idiot. I'm literally saying stuff like, "bring it on," "you come at me, and I'll kill ya!" "You even think about touching her, and you're dead meat!" So, after a few minutes, a guy walked out on his balcony, and said, "Yeah, I think it's building a nest. It's really protective." Which I respond, "yeah, well I'm really protective as well. And if she tries anything, I may just kill her." I think he was a bit shocked with my reply. So he said, "Yeah, I don't think she'll actually attack you." Which I'm thinking, "umm, yeah that's why she's been coming straight for me for five minutes now, huh!?" Well, right after he said that, the lady from the next floor up walked out onto her balcony and said "Yeah, that stupid bird hit me right in the back of the head yesterday, as I was running!" No attacking my butt! Well finally another bird flew into it's tree and distracted it long enough for me and KenLea to get away.
Moral of the story; motherly instincts over ride any fear of hurting an "innocent" animal. Honestly, I've always had a bit of a "motherly" personality. I like to make sure everyone is okay, and all that. And once I got pregnant, even more so. I was so protective of my baby. While walking through crowds or even a parking lot, I was super cautious of anybody running or backing up that might hit me and my baby bump. All you mothers out there know what I mean. Needless to say, I love this little cutie with all of my being. And I'd do anything for her. She comes first! I mean, how could you not love this adorable little girl. With extremely chubby legs.
 Loves!

1 comment:

Bucky &Kelcie said...

haha great story, i was laughing so hard. I would have done the same.